South East Scotland Regional Scout Council
Development Resources – Recruitment
Recruitment of Adults – General
Advertising for Volunteers
There are a number of ways to advertise the volunteer gaps you need filled:
- Gumtree: this is increasingly popular at present.
- Vacancy Boards: available via the UK Scouts Print Centre . These can be put up in your meeting place. See the user guide which shows what they look like and explains how they work.
- Contact your DC who can then ensure the District passes you any relevant enquiries they receive from the UK/Scottish HQ websites, as well as give an update to the Regional Marketing Co-ordinator about gaps that need advertised via Volunteer Scotland and the Do-it Trust (external volunteer websites that the Region can access).
Resources for Recruitment
Below are a number of resources that can guide you through recruitment. Remember you can also get leaflets and flyers from UK and Scottish Headquarters – some are free, some have a small cost. Visit the Print Centre or Scottish Adult Recruitment page .
Additionally, there are a lot of good videos online from the Scout Association that can be used in recruitment – either on websites or social media. See Scouts UK YouTube channel for the videos (remember: you will need internet access to show these at events).
Scouts Scotland website
- Adult Recruitment page
- Adult Recruitment Leaflet
- Adult Recruitment Poster
- Scottish Role Descriptions and Vacancy Packs Note: most roles differ from those on the Scouts UK website.
Scouts UK website
- Print Centre (login required) for photos, videos and printed material
- Recruitment, appointing and reviewing
- Recruiting adult volunteers
- Recruitment of Adult Volunteers (BS320030) (PDF) A detailed guide to recruitment (similar to training on “Grow the Movement”)
- Recruitment Prompt Card (PDF)
- Active Recruitment (FS391003) (PDF)
- Design and Deliver an Effective Recruitment Event (FS500017) (PDF)
- Using our Brand to Grow the Movement (FS103833) (PDF)
UK Scout Shop
- Recruitment Resources Most are for free download. It is worth exploring all the links, as there are extra materials listed for some titles.
Greater London South Scouts website
Although not specific to Scottish roles this site has lots of useful material.
- Development resources
- Recruitment – generic role cards
- Supporting and integrating new leaders
- Induction process to help retain new leaders
- A leaflet for advertising for the Group Executive Committee
- Top tips for advertising vacancies
- A list of resources that are available from UKHQ and within the Region
- Adult volunteering form
- Open Night – tips for success
- Open Night or Taster Evening – more tips for success
- Parent sign-up sheet