SOUTH EAST SCOTLAND SCOUTS
Supporting Scouting in Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, the Borders
South East Scotland Region
The Census for 2017 shows steady growth in our Region – both youth members and the adults who lead and support them.
2.5% growth in youth members
30.1% growth in adult volunteers
South East Scotland is one the eight Regions that form Scouts Scotland. The Scouts Scotland website provides up-to-date information about Scouting in Scotland, where the structure and some other matters differ from the rest of the UK.
The Region stretches from Edinburgh on the south bank of the River Forth to the English border. It includes the local authority council areas of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and Scottish Borders. The Region covers areas of high urban population, rural areas in East Lothian and Scottish Borders as well as the developing area of Midlothian with a mix of growing towns and rural life. There are over 7,000 young people enjoying Scouting in this Region. They are led and supported by almost 2,000 adult volunteers. Scouting offers young people aged 6-25 years an exciting, adventurous programme of activities which encourages interests in outdoor, creative, community based and inclusive activities. Scouting is a value based organisation which encourages self-development, good citizenship and consideration of others. Membership is open to all young people in the age range. Most of all, Scouting is fun.
The Region is made up of seven Districts. The map of South East Region shows the approximate location of Scout Groups (Beavers, Cubs and Scouts), Explorer Units and Centres across the Region.
What happens in the Districts
Scout Districts are where the programme is delivered to young people. The Scout Districts manage the Scout Groups, Explorer Scout Units and Scout Network within them.
- The Local Authority of the Scottish Borders Council
- District Commissioner: Rachel Neville
- More about Borders District
- The geographical area of Blackford, Newington, Gilmerton, Morningside, Greenbank, Buckstone, Fairmilehead and Liberton
- District Commissioner: Dave Colley
- More about Braid District
- The geographical area of Clermiston, Cramond, Blackhall, Davidson’s Mains, Craigleith, Kirkliston, Comely Bank, South Queensferry, Corstorphine, Carrick Knowe, Craigsbank, East Craigs, Saughton
- District Commissioner: Mark Hesketh
- More about Craigalmond District
- The Local Authority of East Lothian Council
- District Commissioner: Liz Wilson
- More about East Lothian District
How the Districts work
Edinburgh North East
- The geographical area of Portobello, Craigentinny, Craigmillar, Duddingston, Joppa, New Town, Broughton, Trinity, Leith, Newhaven, Wardie and Willowbrae
- Isabel McNab, Regional Commissioner, is supporting Edinburgh North East District until a DC is appointed.
- More about Edinburgh North East District
- The Local Authority of Midlothian Council
- District Commissioner: Brian McGuff
- More about Midlothian District
- The geographical area of Balerno, Juniper Green, Currie, Ratho, Colinton, Craiglockhart, Baberton, Sighthill, Colinton Mains, Oxgangs, Longstone and Shandon
- District Commissioner: Jenny Tait-McGillivray
- More about Pentland District