Following a nationwide election, we are delighted to confirm that Ewan Knight and Niamh Kirkland have been elected as Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYP) for the 2021-23 term.
“Congratulations to South East Scotland Scouts members Ewan and Niamh on their election. I know that you will both be great representatives for young people in Scouting and I look forward to working with you in your new roles.” said Martin Elliot, Regional Commissioner.
Ewan is an Explorer Scout at Pink Panthers ESU & YL at 23rd Craigalmond Scouts. His priorities for the Scottish Youth Parliament is to increase the recognition of Scouting awards, encourage outdoor education and make sure young people aren’t being left behind in the recovery of the pandemic.
“I’ve got so much out of Scouting, I have made friends all over Scotland and learned skills for life that I couldn’t anywhere else. I’ve also been able to help other people in my community, which has always been something I’ve enjoyed.”
- I’ll stand up for our Scout values.
- I’ll stand up for equal opportunities for all.
- I’ll stand up for quality, no matter who you are.
- I’ll make sure everyone’s voice is represented.
- I’ll seek for proper climate action from our leaders.
Niamh is an Explorer Scout in Pink Panthers Explorers and also a Young Leader with 30th Craigalmond Cubs. Niamh’s priorities in her role within the Scottish Youth Parliament are increasing outdoor education and focusing on mental health support within young people.
“Over the years scouting has encouraged me to develop my confidence and teamwork skills through phenomenal opportunities like camps and this. Being a young leader has allowed me to develop my leadership skills and it has been truly amazing to watch the young cubs develop their skills and grow.”
- I am enthusiastic and hardworking.
- I have experience representing Scottish scouting from the UK contingent impact team.
- I’m passionate about issues that affect all young people in Scotland.
- I am an experienced debater and enjoy discussing a variety of issues.
- I understand the amount of work required to successfully represent you.