A lot of progress has been made over the past month. Training is running or being set up – online initially, to be followed by practical sessions when possible.
- A comprehensive system, based round OSM, has been set up to manage the complex administration required.
- After an online meeting, adults have been asked to send a note of how they might like to be involved in supporting expeditions, and when. This information is being used to create leader teams for the different levels and dates.
- General planning is well under way to agree possible dates – all subject to changes in the Covid restrictions.
- We will still be very happy to welcome volunteers. Visit the SEEE website for information.
- Basic expedition training is well under way with weekly Zoom sessions involving about 90 Explorers and 30 leaders.
- Agreement has been reached about how to cover first aid requirements.
- Training for Silver and Gold candidates is being planned and will start shortly.
- Provisional dates have been agreed for Bronze (April), Silver (June) and Gold (Aug/Sept) which are subject to Scottish Government rules and Scout Covid guidelines at the time.
- A meeting of Network members interested has been arranged to plan their expeditions.
- The leaders in the core biking team have met a couple of times.
- We now have an agreed set of dates for practice and qualifier expeditions for our group of 10 Explorers.
- A training plan is completed and we’re preparing to run online training within a few weeks, and to have a meet-up of the expedition group as soon as that’s possible.
- Training has commenced for the new cohort of 39 Explorers and Network Scouts from across the Region embarking on their DofE paddle expeditions.
- The series of weekly online sessions serve to get the paddlers familiar with what they’ll see and experience once outdoor Scouting activities resume and on-water training can start, as well as making good use of time over lock-down to improve their knowledge of route planning, basic navigation skills, the Outdoor Access Code and the 20 Conditions of the DofE Expedition.
The SEEE Team