Welcome back to a new term in Scouting. I hope everyone has had a good break, and batteries are suitably re-charged. We have a number of courses planned and available to book, please check what’s available and sign up where appropriate. Visit https://sesscouts.org.uk/adult-training/ and click on ‘Training calendar’. If you choose to follow us on Eventbrite you’ll be notified automatically of any new courses being published.
As the first parts of the national Scouts’ transformation project are due to be implemented this term there are some things to be aware of from a training perspective:
1. Please take a few minutes to log into Compass and check your personal record is up to date. If you haven’t logged on before you may need to register first. https://compass.scouts.org.uk/. You need to have an email address that’s unique to you (i.e. not shared with other leaders) and it would help to check other personal details and communication preferences are correct.
2. If you are fairly new to Scouting or in a new role, check the status of your ‘Getting Started’ training. Links where appropriate are at the end of this article. All parts of Getting Started need to have the ‘Validated On’ column populated with a date. If you’re not sure what you need to do speak to your Training Adviser, ADC (Adult Training) or line manager. Having all of Getting Started fully completed before transition to the new system (probably November) will be very helpful.
3. Check your training record in Compass. If you have completed a course (or learning completed some other way) the column headed ‘Learning Completed’ will have a date in it. After the learning you need to validate, if that’s done the column headed ‘Validated On’ will have a date. If it’s blank you still need to go through the process with a Training Adviser. The Leaders’ Training Guide (from https://www.scouts.scot/members/training/ ) has details of the validation requirements. If you don’t have a Training Adviser there’s an online system that can be used. Any courses not validated in Compass will not be credited to you on the new system.
4. Check the state of your Mandatory Ongoing Learning. Safety, Safeguarding and First Aid all need to be renewed every 3 years. If any of yours are approaching expiry make plans to renew them before they do. Safety and Safeguarding are online (links below), First Aid can be done by a 1 day course, or the ‘Hampshire model’ blend of online, Zoom and face to face.
5. If you have a permit for Nights Away or any Adventurous Activity, check the expiry date on that. Make sure you have it renewed before it expires so you can continue to offer the activity to our young people.
Getting Started Links
Required for all adult appointments:
May apply to some appointments – your Training Adviser will advise:
Personal Learning Plan – done in discussion with a Training Adviser.
Tools for the Role – Managers and Supporters https://www.scouts.org.uk/volunteers/learning-development-and-awards/training/learners/modules/getting-started-training/04-tools-for-the-role-managers-and-supporters/
ARC (Adult Training)