Are you an Explorer Scout aged 16-18? Would you like to develop your skills for future employment? Would you like to work in a creative, busy and interesting environment, to promote and protect the human rights of children and young people? If so, then the Children and Young People’s Commissioner Scotland would love to welcome you as a volunteer.
Who is the Children and Young People’s Commissioner?
The Children and Young People’s Commissioner is Bruce Adamson and he and his team work as fierce champions of the rights of everyone under 18 or up to 21 if they are care experienced. They work to make sure that laws that affect young people’s lives are fair, and challenge those in power. They strive to be caring and kind, but be brave when standing up for rights. They put the views of children and young people at the heart of everything they do.
The Children an Young People’s Commissioner is looking for passionate, committed, volunteers who are willing to learn from them as a team, but who will also share their knowledge and experience of being a young person in Scotland.
This will give you lots of opportunities to learn new skills in different areas of the Commissioner’s work. Some of these might include:
- digital media – including developing their website
- communications – sharing information about what they do with others in Scotland
- strategy – planning what they should work on and meeting with people who make decisions about children and young people
- budgeting – looking at how the Commissioner spends his money, and what gets priority
- front line – working directly with children and young people all over Scotland
You will have the chance to be involved in planning large events, give your views on how the Commissioner can give information and advice to children and young people about their rights, support young people who defend rights, take part in meetings, learn how to use Office software packages and much more.
Am I a match?
- Opportunities open to young people aged 16-18 (or up to 21 if care experienced)
- Positions will be based in Edinburgh
- The placement will last 3-6 months, with a 3 month review carried out to establish whether the volunteer wishes to end or extend the placement
- You will be fully supported by a ProjectScotland mentor and Youth Engagement Manager
- Volunteers will also be offered support to undertake an SQA accredited award and given a personal reference by the Commissioner
ProjectScotland is delighted to work in partnership with the Children and Young People’s Commissioner Scotland to promote this unique opportunity. Please apply by emailing Emma.Hanlon@projectscotland.co.uk
Emma is happy to help with all enquiries relating to this opportunity
For more info see https://www.cypcs.org.uk/ or Twitter: @cypcs