ADULTS IN SCOUTING
Volunteering. It’s #GoodForYou
Volunteering’s not just about giving back – it goes both ways. It improves your wellbeing, gives you skills for the future, and helps you make new friends (and memories).
Adult volunteers, the amazing benefits!
You do not need to have any prior scouting experience to get involved in Scouting and volunteer – everyone is welcome
Getting involved as an adult volunteer is hugely rewarding, and we offer a range of different roles depending on your interests.
The good news is you shape what you do and decide how much time you give. Scouts happens when a lot of us give a little (and no, you don’t have to be a Scout or outdoors expert to volunteer).
Scouts is needed now more than ever. The pandemic has hit our young people hard – with two thirds saying is impacted on their mental health. Having people positive role models to guide the way, and give that extra bit of encouragement is so important in times like these. We help young people step up, speak and find their place in the world. We help them gain skills for life.
All our activities are run by volunteers, who might join us because they want to:
- Try something new
- Spend time with their children – or gain experience with young people
- Do something good for their community and themselves
- Keep their bodies and brains active and happy – whether that’s by scaling mountains, sharing skills or serving tea
All end up making a huge difference to young people’s lives – gifting them with skills for life, and learning a whole lot about themselves along the way.
The South East Scotland Scouts Region is made up of seven Districts including the local authority council areas of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and Scottish Borders. We support all 88 Scout Groups across all ages and Centres (Bonaly Scout Centre and Longcraigs). So lots of opportunities!
Our volunteering opportunities are flexible and can easily fit around the time you have available to get involved.
Vacancies exist in Edinburgh, East Lothian, Borders and Midlothian. And regionally working remotely. Flexible opportunities exist to fit around your home and work life. Roles include working with children and young people, managing teams of adults, administration and finance, trusteeship and training. There’s something for everyone, regardless of your experience or background.
- Our Volunteer commitment:
- To provide support every step of the way
- To have roles to suit you, your lifestyle and time
- To provide support, training and assist with succession planning
- To base our volunteering on our core values of care, integrity, respect, belief and cooperation
- To be flexible to work around your needs
- To be fair, honest and transparent
- To work together to build livelong memories
Scouting depends on volunteers like you!
- There are many roles in Scouting so we can use many different skills.
- Anyone over 18 can help out as an adult volunteer in Scouting. There is no upper age limit.
- Volunteering is flexible. You can decide how much time you can give.
- We will provide training and support. So no experience of Scouting is necessary.
- You will meet new people and learn new things.
Not sure if you can do it?
You don’t need to be Bear Grylls to join us. You don’t need to have been a Scout when you were younger. You don’t even need to know how to put up a tent! Our door is open to people of all ages, genders, races and backgrounds, and we’re only able to change lives because people like you lend a hand. We’re talking about tea makers, tidy-uppers and skill sharers. We’re talking about mini bus drivers and first aiders. We’re talking about students who want to boost their CV, and parents who volunteer so they can spend more time together as a family.
Whatever your skillset, lend a hand for as little or as much time as you can spare, and we promise you’ll get more out than you put in. Because whether you’re helping a leader to run an activity in the local town hall, organising a night away, or buttering 120 slices of bread a group of very hungry eleven year olds – no two Scout meetings are the same. The difference you make, though, is always great.
We provide the training. You show up, get stuck in, and make memories for life.
Sounds fun? Worthwhile? It is!
Whether you want to work with young people directly or help behind the scenes, there’s something for everyone at Scouts. Email our Scouting Support Officer and we’ll be delighted to start your journey today.